Saturday, 21 April 2018

3 Box of Shame Finishes - Silhouettes

Good morning!

Today I have 3 more Box of Shame finishes to show you.

These are Milk Train, The Lock and Canal Crossing from the Silhouettes range by Heritage Crafts, which I finished in April and August last year and April this year respectively.

I had originally planned on purchasing just a simple wooden frame, but I played around with mounts and decided I preferred them with mounts rather than without. They are 13mm mahogany frames with mushroom top mounts and black bottom mounts. I think they're perfect!

Milk Train

The Lock

Canal Crossing

They're quite small too, measuring just 17cm square. I must have done a good job as my hubby even commented how effective they look - and he very rarely comments on any of my stitching, finishing or framing! Here they are all together:

Goodness knows if I'll ever stitch any of the others in the series; I do hope so but they'll first have to fight their way to the top of my fairly long to-stitch list and battle it out with other much stronger contenders. So we'll see...

Take care,
Rachel x

Sunday, 15 April 2018

Canal Crossing - finished

Hello all,

Here is this month's customary finish from Debbie's Super Duper Ultimate Crazy January February Challenge (DSDUCJFC) 2015. This is Canal Crossing and finish number 29 of the 59 starts.

This is how you last saw it at the end of March:

And all finished:

Canal Crossing from the Heritage Crafts Silhouettes range
Stitched on 16ct Cream Aida 2 over 1
Stitch count 68 wide by 68 high
Started - 10th February 2015
Finished - 10th April 2018
Total stitching time - 27 hours 45 minutes

This now completes the three projects I started from the Silhouettes range (although I still have about another dozen on my to-do list!) I'm not so keen on this one as it contains greys rather than just sepia colours, but it still looks very effective and I'm definitely pleased with the result.

I already have the frames for this and the other two Silhouettes, Milk Train and The Lock, so you should see them emerge from my Box of Shame in all their framed glory in the next few days.

Take care,
Rachel x

Saturday, 7 April 2018

Haunted House Bell Pull - 40 hours

Hello all!

I was definitely successful with this project last month and did get in another 10 hours, finishing off the windows, columns, railings and door, and all complete with backstitching.

So it's now grown from this:

To this:

Which means I'm now two-thirds of the way through:

It will definitely come out again towards the end of April, once I have completed my compulsory stitching. I can't wait!

Take care,
Rachel x

Sunday, 1 April 2018

March Progress on 2015/2016 Challenge Pieces

Hello there!

Another month has flown past already so it's time to check in with my stitching for March on my outstanding WIPs started back in 2015/2016. Remember that my aim is to finish one and work on two more each month. So, how did I do?

Well, I finished Spring Alphabet by Lizzie Kate (posted previously) and worked on:

Canal Crossing by Heritage Crafts
started 10th February 2015; last stitched on last month
filled in the top and then worked in from the bottom right
(big blocks of colour ensured rapid progress)

Spotted Owls by from the Young'uns collection by Gloria and Pat
started 21st February 2015; last worked on October 2015 (was it really that long ago?!)
stitched the branch, some leaves and started their tails

In April I should be able to finish Canal Crossing and make further progress on Spotted Owls and another project from my remaining WIPs.

Take care,
Rachel x

Friday, 30 March 2018

Smalls SAL - March 2018

Hello everybody!

It's the last Friday of the month again so time to check in with the Smalls SAL run by Heather of Stitching Lotus.

This month I stitched another piece of cheeky fruit. May I introduce Percy Pear:

Pear from Fabulous Fruit
Designed by Jenny Barton in Cross Stitch Crazy magazine issue 192 (I think)
Stitched on 16ct Lichen over-dyed aida from 2 over 1
Stitch count - 29 wide by 39 high
Started - 1st March 2018
Finished - 4th March 2018
Total stitching time - 4 hours 30 minutes

I don't think he's quite as cute as January's raspberry but he's still a lot of fun and looking forward to great big hug!

And, as usual, he's been finished in my usual way:

Next month... a second Australian tweety.

Take care,
Rachel x

Monday, 26 March 2018

Haunted House Bell Pull - 30 hours

Hello all!

I just couldn't wait to get back to this piece! It's been sitting in my peripheral vision all month but I resisted temptation until my planned stitching had been completed.

I finally filled in the missing bit of chimney pot before finishing off the remaining backstitching around the window and then working down.

So it's now gone from this:

To this:

And means I'm about half way through.

If all goes well I should be able to fit in another 10 hours before the end of the month. I really hope so as I love this piece sooooo much!

For those who have asked or are interested, this pattern and its big sister were purchased from Happy browsing! Disclaimer... I am not responsible (you know who you are) for your purse strings...!!!

Take care,
Rachel x

Thursday, 22 March 2018

1 Box of Shame Finish - Birds With Umbrella

Morning all!

The pace at which I'm finishing off my Box of Shame pieces has substantially decreased now that the little pieces are out of the way but I did finish one last week - Birds With Umbrella, a silly and simple free pattern from I knew this piece was not important enough to warrant framing so - surprise surprise - have made another little cushion with perfectly-matching backing fabric. No hanging loop this time though. The colours in the first picture are not as accurate as those in the other two.

So that's another one down but still loads more to go! Time to do some framing now perhaps...

Take care,
Rachel x